Sunday, May 26, 2013

Beer in Cambodia - Part II

Beer.  If you don't already know, I believe it is the best beverage ever created.  It is as complex and diverse, if not more so, than wine or scotch.  Don't get me wrong, I love a good glass of Speyside single malt, but there is something about beer that has captivated me for some time.  What food does beer not compliment?   Every situation you can dream of, where drinking is appropriate, there is a beer that corresponds.

As you likely know if you've read Part I of this post, good beer is hard to come by in Siem Reap.  This fact does not deter me in the slightest as I am on the perennial hunt for different beers.  I have found a few more since my last beer related post.  Sadly, there is only one new stout, but I do really enjoy it; the others were just watery lagers made for the heat.  There is a t-shirt you can buy here that says "Same, Same" on the front and "But Different" on the back.  At first it didn't really click with me and I found the shirt odd, but then I realized that everything here - the beer, the restaurants, the stores - is all basically the same, but a little different.  If I could find a good witbier or saison, I would be elated.  I have found Paulaner, Maredsous, Erdinger, Leffe, and even Duvel on draft at one bar/restaurant - so I can enjoy good beer here, but the variety is rather limited.  Recently we have been frequenting a German restaurant that servers dark and blonde Weihenstephaner, the blonde has been tasting great in this humidity.  I miss Binny's dearly.

When out and about in Siem Reap, you'll find Angkor, Anchor, Tiger and Cambodia Lager nearly everywhere.  They are the local beers that are easy to drink in the heat and humidity you live with here.  Below are pictures of beers I have recently tried.


it is a very dry beer

one of the wateriest beers I've ever tasted

not bad, tastes better than what you'd expect

I love the motto

I thought this was tea at first

clear taste?

literally tastes like 50% water 50% bud light

I drank it at optimal tasting temperature and it still wasn't good

best beer name in SE Asia

yes, another watery lager

same

same

but different

basically watery Heineken

City, I've only seen advertised in the country
(the Oban is by far the best thing about this pic)

you guessed it, watery lager

100% malt is deceptive

it replenishes your energy?

fun can

found this in Bangkok

also from Bangkok, actually decent

I drank this in Bali, a lot




Here are a few of the beers I was very glad to find in Siem Reap.  








I found these fun cans in Bangkok.

all German final this year



Messi and beer


Drink Good Beer, Responsibly!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment